October 12, 2010

My Husband Hugh, 3 Months, 10 days in hospital. Now home.

On June 21 2010, my husband was in a near fatal accident and was in the hospital for 3 months and 10 days total. He suffered a complete broken pelvis, internal bleeding, broken right shoulder and right arm, most broken ribs, broken lower back, broken right femur (thigh bone) left knee and fibula, broken right toes, a paralyzed diaphragm, spinal nerve damage, and minor brain/head injury and right arm nerve damage. He has had 2 surgeries with 3 more procedures including 2 more surgeries needing to be done still. As time goes by we are still finding out more and more medical problems, and "conditions" resulting from this accident.

Hugh has been home now since October 1. Life has been tough with the adjustments since he has been home. He is finding out his true disabilities now that he is settling in home and not in his "protected" hospital environment. Since we have been home, we have learned that he cannot use his computer because of the nerve damage in his arms. Computers is his passion. We are making minor living adjustments to accommodate this for him. This breaks my heart.

He has been through 2 MRI's, one CAT scan and 1 EMG nerve test since October 1. We now find out he needs 1. a shoulder manipulation under anesthesia, 2. his screws in his pelvis need to be removed as they maybe impinging on his nerves, and 3. ulnar nerve surgery in his right arm as the damage is pretty severe.

Home physical therapy is coming this week 2 times. He has a home health nurse coming weekly to check his blood thinner levels as he has a right femur blood clot. He is on blood thinners and I was giving him injections of Levenox, and may have to start those again. I give those to him in his stomach.

I am completely and utterly exhausted. I am seeking treatment in form of "counseling". I need immediate relief though and not really digging the "natural" methods. I will talk to my regular doctor about this. I have been dealing with this trauma for nearly 4 months, and need relief like yesterday. Therapy is ok, but I need meds. I was told to go out and do something for me, for a couple of hours, to bring some balance into my life. This, I will do tomorrow, Hugh is behind me 100%.

I am so proud of my husband, and this has brought us so much closer. He knows when I am overwhelmed and anxious and backs off.

So folks, that's all for now. Peace out.

3 comments:

Flowersbyfarha said...

Yeah, you need relief!

Meds aren't necessarily a good answer though.

And, doing something for yourself can't be just once in a blue moon... more like on a daily basis for a short walk, dance to your favorite music, etc...

Hard to afford with all the medical expenses, but perhaps some massage or some version of a spa day once a week? (Got a girl friend you can get together with and do each other a mani-/pedi-cure or facials?)

Or, in-home movie night complete w/popcorn? (COMEDIES ONLY!!!)

Finding some way to laugh several times a day really helps...even if it's only at the bizarreness of life.

Hang in there.

Best Wishes and <>

Treacle said...

You are an amazing person.

Nancy said...

I'm sorry it's so hard. It will get better as you both adjust, so hang in there. I'm sure lots of folks are keeping you both in prayer, so I hope that encourages you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...