October 25, 2010

My Husband Hugh, 3 Months, 10 days in hospital. Now home.

Life at home is becoming more "normal". I am constantly on the go, doing this or that. Our days are filled with meal planning, bath time, cleaning up, house chores, physical or occupational therapy, dispensing meds, doctor visits, and when I can get time, trying to get my business up and running. By the time bedtime rolls around, I crash.

Hugh has surgery is planned for this Thursday, October 28 at 7:30 am at Memorial Hospital, and considered "one day surgery" meaning he can come home the same day as long as there are no complications. The surgery will be 2 procedures to do his shoulder manipulation (meaning, Dr. W will crank the hell out of it) to loosen it up, break up the scar tissue etc. Then Dr. Z will remove 2 screws/hardware from his pelvis that Dr. W is concerned about that could be impinging on the nerves. There is a possibility that Dr. W could break the arm while doing this manipulation. We are aware of the risks. Hugh asked Dr. W what happens if the arm is broken, and Dr. W said, "Well, after I go home and change my underwear, I will consult with your wife on if you need further surgery". I laughed my ass off. I love Dr. W!

After he is discharged, he has to go to the physical therapist to begin immediately physical therapy on the shoulder to keep it loosened up after surgery. He has to have "acute" therapy on the shoulder 3 times a week to keep it loosened up so as to not freeze up on him again. The surgery basically is 50/50 chance of it being a success. The "hardware/screws" in his pelvis will be removed in the same visit by another surgeon. They are hoping this might help with some of the nerves in his legs. This we won't know for a year or two down the road if it is successful or not.

So, starting next week, Hugh will have out patient acute physical therapy on his shoulder, and we will then talk about other physical therapy on the rest of him.

So many people ask "how can I help". Right now, we need prayers. There is also a DONATE to Paypal button to help us with our expenses (the yellow DONATE BUTTON) you see right below. Also, need Tupperware? My friend is donating 40% to us if you order Tupperware. USE THIS LINK: TUPPERWARE ONLINE ORDERING



1 comment:

Glenda Watson Hyatt said...

All the best to Hugh for a speedy recovery! You both are in my prayers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...