September 29, 2010

Finally getting answers. PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

I thought PTSD (Posttraumatic Stress Disorder) was only for veterans of war. I guess not. I was diagnosed with this recently and am quite frankly relieved to know I'm not totally nuts and there is a "name" to what the hell is going on with me.

If you want to help me, you can try to pledge your support, whether or not you will ever understand why I suffer with my anxiety, and at times, profound sadness and irritability. Please consider the little truths to follow:
  • Believe me
  • Be patient, I do not want to be a burden to anyone
  • Accept that my pain and my disorder is as real as any other physical disability or injury, even though you can't see it
  • Understand that I would never hold on to this if I had a choice
  • I would like to cast these feelings of anxiety, helplessness, moodiness, hyperactivity, fear, loss of interest in socializing, irritability, difficulty concentrating, feeling jumpy, and tiredness into the far reaches of the universe and banish the pain and bad memories from my mind forever
  • If I want to be touched, a hug works well.
  • If I say I just need a moment, or I cry for no apparent reason, just wait for me to come back, no words are needed.
  • I want to be whole and happy again, other than my dark times, I will be there for you.

3 comments:

Lisa of LaStrada said...

Hi Shelley, I totally pledge my support of you and what you are going through! You have been through so much - and you deserve to have all of those feelings that you mentioned! Especially profound sadness - how could you not have that.... and not that you mentioned it, but I would be so sad thinking, "Why me, Why us?"
And, I don't know how you concentrate at all....
God bless you, and much love sent your way....xoxoxoxo Lisa

Lisa of LaStrada said...

Hi Shelley, I totally pledge my support of you and what you are going through! You have been through so much - and I understand all of those feelings that you mentioned. Especially the profound sadness - how could you not have that.... and not that you mentioned it, but I would be so sad thinking, "Why me, Why us?"
And, I don't know how you concentrate at all....
God bless you, and much love sent your way....xoxoxoxo Lisa

Melinda said...

Post means after
Traumatic means having suffered something that caused great trauma
Stress means the body is struggling to recover from said traumatic event and it is being manifested in strange a s weird ways that are not considered normal for that person
Disorder means that this is not a normal emotional condition for the person in question. Things are out of order since the traumatic event and the unrelenting stress.

Shelley, all of this certainly applies. I'm glad you're getting help. I can tell you from experience that with treatment you WILL get better and your life will normalize.

OX

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...